The Alton High School Athletic Hall of Fame has released its 2016 enshrinees. There will be five individuals and two teams inducted in the sixth HOF class. The Alton HOF began in 2011.
For the first time since its inception, a track and field relay team will be put in under the team heading.
The induction ceremony will take place on Nov. 23 at halftime of a Redbirds' boys' basketball game during the Alton Tip-Off Tournament.
The 2016 class, their main sports and graduation years are:
- Robert “Bob” Astroth, football and boys' basketball, 1946;
- Larry Jeffries, boys' basketball, 1965;
- Lindsay Kennedy, girls' soccer and girls' basketball, 1998;
- Kavon Lacey, football and boys' basketball, 2007
- Gerald “Scooter” Wilson, football and boys' track and field, 1969;
- The 1969 state champion 880-yard relay team (James Scruggs, Gerald “Scooter” Wilson, Oscar Wallace, Gail Murphy)
- The 2000-01 boys' basketball team, the only basketball team to advance to the elite eight in school history
Assistant AHS athletics director Eric Roberson serves as chairman of the HOF committee, overseeing nominations and coordinating the induction process. Jeff Alderman (Alton AD), Amy Cotton (Alton Middle School AD), Mike Brey (AHS administrator), Scott Harper (AHS teacher/coach), Dan Carter (AHS teacher/coach), Stan McAfoos (community member), Terry Mitchell (community member), Oscar Wallace (community member), Steve Porter (community member), Bill Roseberry (media) round out the HOF committee.
Community members are urged to nominate quality individuals and top teams annually. Visit www.altonathletics.org to find qualifications for HOF members, nomination forms and bios on the current HOFers.
CLASS OF 2011
1958 Boys' Cross Country
1969 Boys' Track and Field
Leroy “Fats” Harrison
Argalious “Gail” Murphy
CLASS OF 2012
1963 Boys' Track and Field
1964 Boys' Track and Field
Ray “Pop” Jackson
Lester “Bo” Scott
CLASS OF 2013
1954-55 Boys' Basketball
Charles “Dink” Black
CLASS OF 2014
1984 Boys' Soccer
Floyd C. Raglin
Bill “Red” Schmitt
CLASS OF 2015
FRIENDS OF ATHLETICS